Sunday, October 18, 2009

Ah The Mystery...

I have been toying with the idea of starting a blog about autoimmune disease for some time now. I love to write and felt I needed to express my thoughts and feelings on this subject hopefully reaching others who have had similar experiences. I have Hashimoto's Thryoiditis and was formally diagnosed in 2006 even though looking back I can see that I have exerienced its symptoms for far longer.

I also got tired and was bewildered at how many people had no idea what the thyroid gland was and what it did. We ALL have one, male and female alike! Indeed, even some doctors I have visited seemed to marvel at the elusive thyroid gland. Did they skip that chapter in medical school? Even in my own schooling other organ systems were extensively covered such as the cardiovascular, skeletal, digestive... yet there was only a mere mention of the endocrine one. How mysterious.... Don't even get me started on autoimmune disease. Auto what?

I find it outrageous that certain other diseases seem to get top billing over the more widespread and deadly ones but that's a whole other blog isn't it? I read somewhere that the reason that other diseases, in particular autoimmune ones, don't get the recognition that they deserve is that they are not sexy. Hmmmm I guess no one wants to hear about fatigue, hair falling out, deathly palor, depression, constipation which are usually experienced on a daily basis, mind you. Yes, I can see why most people would rather not talk about these less than glamorous symptoms.

There have been countless times over the years where I searched the net for people who were going through the same thing mostly to prove to myself that I was not alone. I could relate to some and found lots of helpful advice along the way. I always felt that the search was the most exhausting part of all however. Why are autoimmune diseases so underground? Again, the mystery.... Maybe it's like a secret club. Most of us who have one might not even look sick all the time. Then again, when we do we REALLY do. I can't tell you how many times I suspect someone looking at me for the first time probaly thought I was a drug addict. Uggh. It's a silent, underground, covert operation of a network of diseases... shhhh. Well, I for one think it's time to speak up about it and bring about awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment