Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Battling a Social Stigma

For several months now my Endocrinologist has persuaded me to see a Psychologist. She once asked me about my line of work and I believe my response was that I was stressed out and didn't like my job. Ever since then she has asked if I wanted her to prescribe me a "happy pill." I have since been laid off along with 600 other fellow workers so clearly my unhappiness at work is no longer an issue. It was indeed a blessing in disguise come to think of it. I was seriously hanging on by a thread both physically and mentally as a result of my illness and also because I was no longer satisfied with the job. My side business which is my true passion was beginning to overshadow my full-time job anyway and it sounds horrible to say but my 9 to 5 job was becoming a hindrance blocking my ability to expand the business further.

As every visit came and went my Endocrinologist kept asking me if I saw anyone yet. I began to wonder: Do I look unhappy? Am I really unhappy and just in denial about it? Was I depressed and didn't even know it? I decided to give talking to someone a try.

Seeing someone and speaking about your feelings and problems is virtually unheard of in my mind and not how I was raised at all. Taking a "happy pill" is even more of a taboo. While I am happy to say that I overcame my pride about seeing a therapist (I will be seeing her for the third time coming up next week), I still feel very strongly about not taking any medication unless I truly need it. I maintain that I don't have to since thankfully I don't have extreme Depression or Anxiety. I have discovered that I do suffer from these afflictions from talking to the therapist but all in all I manage it well.

Thyroid disease can cause symptoms of mental illness unfortunately. I must admit that before I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's I had some pretty scary bouts of depression but always managed to rationalize it and function well in the world. I guess a part of me thought it was normal to feel this way and I haven't felt otherwise so this must be my normal. I have never felt the need to see anyone as a result and also didn't want any of the stigma attached. A part of me still feels a little funny about walking to the therapist's office or sitting in the waiting room. I wonder what the others think I'm there for? I hope no one recognizes me. It's all so silly but there still is that real fear of being stigmatized. I'm by no means crazy but I'd be a fool if I said I didn't have any thing to work out or toward. We all have something or other.

I am happy with myself for taking that first step. It really is the only time during the week that's truly just for me and about me. It's a time to help me sort out my feelings in dealing with this illness. I often have a "it's no big deal" attitude even when with things that are a huge deal. It is a big deal that I can't let myself just relax when my body and mind are telling me that I need to. It is a big deal when I berate myself for not finishing every little thing on my to-do list. It is a big deal when I feel like a failure because I didn't do something substantial to expand my business on any given day because I feel too sick and out of it to even think about doing anything. These are just a few of the things I hope to work through. I just want to be able to enjoy my life more and reach the goals I set in place for myself while respecting the fact that I may not have the energy I once used to.

I'm a work in progress but the stage has been set. For anyone thinking about seeing a Psychologist but wary of doing so I highly recommend it. If I did it you can too. It's time for this stigma to go away.

1 comment:

  1. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy, ,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete